The Melvin C. High Scholarship was founded by Sheriff High in 2011, with the first seniors receiving awards from the 2011 graduating class.
Applications for the Melvin C. High Scholarship award will be available in the offices of all Prince George’s County high school guidance counselors, starting March 27th. The applications are also available through the link on the front page of the Sheriff’s website at
The application submission period will run from March 27, 2015 through April 27, 2015. Applications will be collected from high school guidance counselors the week after the closing date and application packages mailed to the Office of the Sheriff must be postmarked no later than April 27, 2015.
To be considered, students must be a Prince George’s County resident, submit the required documentation and meet the following criteria:
• Accepted for admission to an accredited college or university
• Be involved in community service or extracurricular school activities
• Have his/her G.P.A documented by the guidance counselor
• Provide a letter of recommendation from a member of the faculty
• Complete a one-page essay answering the question: “How will a college education change your life and your future?”
Submitted applications are reviewed by an Academic Committee and the Scholarship Selection Committee, who will select the 2015 recipients. Once the awardees are announced, the Office of the Sheriff will make the award available to the college/university at the time of registration.
For additional information about the Melvin C. High Scholarship Program, please contact Lt. Col. Regina Taylor at 301-780-7495.