Upper Marlboro, MD… The Prince George’s County Office of the Sheriff said it has been notified by the Prince George’s County State’s Attorney’s Office that, after a thorough investigation and review by the County Police and the State’s Attorney, no further action will be brought against Corporal Jamal Dedier and Deputy First Class Anthony Bynum in the May 10, 2015 shooting of suspect Lionel Lorenzo Young of Landover, MD.
On the conclusion of the investigation, Sheriff Melvin C. High said, “This matter has been rigorously investigated and reviewed under the expert investigative and judgmental gaze of experienced detectives and legal authority. Beyond that, I have undertaken my own review and evaluation of the incident of May 10th of last year and find that our deputies acted appropriately in a dangerous situation.”
Consistent with standard procedure, the shooting was investigated by the Prince George’s County Police Department while the Sheriff’s Policy Compliance Division conducted a concurrent administrative investigation. Both deputies were placed on routine Administrative Leave pending the investigations.
The details of the event are as follows: On May 10, 2015, Deputies Dedier and Bynum, assigned to the Domestic Violence Intervention Division, responded to a 911 call for a domestic disturbance that resulted in their discharging their agency issued firearms. The shooting occurred after the suspect threatened the victim with a knife and intentionally struck the vehicle she was driving with his truck. The deputies pursued the vehicle of the suspect to the 900 block of Nalley Road where he rammed two deputys’ vehicles. Deputies discharged their agency issued firearms, striking the suspect. He was pronounced deceased on the scene.
For more information contact the Prince George’s County Sheriff’s Press Information Office at 301-780-7354.